Sunday, January 23, 2011

what a week.


Today marks two weeks back in Baku after being home in Michigan for the holidays. Until now, I've been dealing with Jet Lag--I haven't slept past 5am in 2 weeks! But, the last 3 nights have been VERY full and kept me up VERY late, so I will sleep long tonight and late tomorrow (until my alarm goes off at 7:00)! Finally.

Friday night: FAJITA NIGHT at my house! Geoff and I invited a few friends and coworkers over--10 people in all! That's a lot of fajitas! Here's our coworker Aynura (in the green and glasses) with her sister and niece...
Saturday night: Rishad's Birthday! We were expecting a quiet night in which we would take in an art exhibit and then treat Rishad to a birthday dinner. But we ended up with 20 of his friends eating a private dinner and then dancing the night away. Such is life in Baku, I guess!

Here's Geoff, me, Rishad, and Bill:
This was the view outside of the Disco where we partied with Rishad...the Maiden's Tower. I love the juxtaposition of really old and brand new in this picture.Today: We started our day off at Baku International Fellowship, then to Home Group with our American friends for the afternoon. And tonight, Geoff and I had dinner at Rza's house, a dear friend of ours and my neighbor! He cooked us some excellent tomato soup and some sort of friend mashed potato thing that was also fantastic!

Here's Rza:

Also, many of you know about what's going on with my mom and cancer. Surgery was a success and she is on the mend. Lymph nodes are clear, PTL. They have an appointment on Friday to discuss the results and decide on a treatment plan. G is good! Satan will NOT have his way with my family. No sir, absolutely not. We have VICTORY through the Almighty Reigning KING.

Also, I've been in Azerbaijan since this summer, and I've been overseas since August '09, and I think I'm finally, FINALLY feeling experiencing culture shock. Is that weird? Isn't it a little late for this? Life here is fantastic. Life here is hard. But my life is here, and this is where G has me. Pryrs appreciated as I slog through these cultural difficulties!

Friends, be reminded and encouraged: IMMANUEL. HE IS WITH US.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog and seeing how G is using you - so cool that you got to go home for the holidays... your constant reminders of how the L is with us are so encouraging, even amid the challenges you face - Praise Him!

    ReplyDelete