Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Happy Women's Day!

I'd like to start by asking: Why in the world don't we celebrate Women's Day in America?!
THIS. HOLIDAY. ROCKS. A day off work and more flowers than I know what to do with? Umm, yes please!

Though the actual date of International Women's Day is March 8, we began celebrating on the 7th, because it was a work day. The last two days of celebration have been FANTASTIC. Here's the rundown:

I get off the Metro at the 28 May stop on Monday morning and began walking to my first lesson at Unibank. At 9:15, I got a call that my first lesson was canceled. So, I veered south and walked the 10 minutes to my school.

Nearly everyday on my way to school, usually after my first lesson, I stop in a little supermarket and pick up yogurt or milk or something like it for breakfast or lunch or whatever meal I’ll eat at school that day (my day starts EARLY here, so it’s usually breakfast). The store I always stop at--Citimart--is about a 2-minute walk from my school. Today, I got to Citimart at 9:30am, and it was dark inside. The doors were all wide open, so I double checked the hours sign and walked in. “Mozhna?” I asked the concerned guard. He let me pass, and I walked into a dark supermarket. I headed back to the yogurt, which is way in the back where the natural light from the front doesn’t reach. I had to use my cell phone to make sure I didn’t run into any shelves and to find the yogurt I wanted. I grabbed a Cola Light out of the fridge and headed up to pay, using my cell phone to light the way. They added my total on paper, sending the bagger running a few times to double check prices. I paid and left, and must have looked like a crazy person walking to my school, practically laughing out loud! This life will never bore me, that’s for sure. Warm yogurt, anyone?

I ate my yogurt at school and waited for my next students, who came at 11. The flowers started arriving right away...my collection grew to more than I could carry by the end of the day! Here they are: [gorgeous, right?]

I also received chocolates out the wazoo, a darling little picture frame, a few cards, and a new mobile phone (appropriately from the Minister of Comm!). What a great holiday!

The boys took Amanda and I out for dinner to celebrate the fact that we're women! We went to Pizza Holiday, a pizza place we'd heard a lot about, and it was great! The closest to American pizza any of us have had since we've been here! Of course, we forgot to take a picture at the restaurant, but we grabbed a few on the metro. Thanks boys!
Spraznikum! Happy Women's Day to all you beautiful women out there!
Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment