Thursday, November 19, 2009

The least of these.

I was walking to the store today by myself. I was walking on the sidewalk, and there were very few people around. Except, there was this guy. He was about my age. He was dirty, he smelled, his clothes were torn. He wanted something, probably money, but maybe food, and I just kept walking, glancing behind me every few steps to make sure he wasn’t following me, and establishing a plan of escape from this man should his request become just a little too pushy, should his dirty hands get a little too close to my bag, should he try to stop me again. I wasn’t scared—I was annoyed.

We came to the corner and the light was red. I waited for the green, and the man turned left and continued walking. I crossed the street, glad to be on my own once again, and out of the alley just 5 yards ahead trots this teeny-tiny little pup. He was so cute and my heart just broke for the little guy. I knew he had no home and was just learning to live off the street. I wanted to take him home, feed him, and give him a bath! I knelt down and stroked his head. I cooed at him and played with him and gave him my complete and undivided attention for about 5 minutes. He was SO precious! It was hard for me to leave him there and continue on to the store.

I had a short list of items. While I was putting the wanna-be-Ritz-crackers in my basket, I saw some puppy food. I put it in my basket with the crackers, finished my shopping, paid with a smile and some tenge, and left.

To say I was thrilled when I saw my little pup on the way home would be an understatement. I was elated! He recognized me and trotted/waddled on over. I got down on my knees and opened the packet of food I had bought for him and he just chowed down. I was beaming as I watched him eat, and by the time he finished, I was happier than I’d been all day.

I walked away feeling like I had done some good in the world.

Then, waBASH. I was smacked across the face by my sinful nature.

It took me two whole blocks to realize that the compassion I had on the pup was the same compassion I REFUSED to have on the man who asked me for help. I fed a DOG and turned head when a PERSON asked me for food?! My excuse? I don’t speak Russian. I only have large bills. I’m a girl, he’s a guy, we’re alone. My money’s in my wallet and there’s no way I’m taking out my wallet in front of him. He’s probably going to use it to buy vodka.

I refused my brother, turning my back on him. I should have given him money, I should have purchased him food, I should have given him the jacket I was wearing. I didn’t even give him a chance. But that cute little pup? I gave him the attention he craved. I rubbed his head. I bought him food. I led him away from the dangerous street. I took pictures of him. I loved him.

Was I consciously aware of my lack of compassion toward the needy man? Not really. Was I acting in my very nature? Sadly, yes. So many years ago, at the prompting of the serpent, Eve took a bite of that darn apple. And it was all downhill from there. I’ve got a piece of that apple in me, and I allow that serpent to let me believe things that are not of THE truth. And no matter how hard I fight against the hold that apple has on me, once in a while, it blindsides me.

“Whatever you do for the least of these, you do for Me.”

Sav!or, I’m sorry ignored you today when you clearly gave me the opportunity to love you and feed you and clothe you. I turned my back on you and hardened my heart toward you. Forgive me, Father.

3 comments:

  1. such a great reminder. amazing post...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm totally crying right now, because this is me. I am so picky in what i choose to be compassionate about and am annoyed by what i should be passionate about. why are we this way? can we change in one life time here on earth? no. but change will come, and i am will stand with the father as will you.

    ReplyDelete