Monday, February 15, 2010

chicken breast victory!

CHICKEN BREAST VICTORY!  (if you have no idea what this refers to, see the embarrassing post two below this one.)

So, after I failed miserably at my first attempt to buy chicken breast, I went home and studied the word breast in Russian.  My poor roommate probably thought I was crazy--for about an hour I walked around saying "Breast...Groodka.  Breast...Groodka.  Breast...Groodka."  I learned it and learned it well, friends.  So, today, I confidently walked up to the meat counter and said, "Mozhna oo menya yest dva kooritza groodka, pazhalsta?" (May I please have two chicken breasts, please?)  I have no idea if this was gramatically or syntactically correct, but it saved me from the embarrassment of charading the word breast, and it got me what I wanted.  In the famous words of Julius Caesar, "VINI VIDI VICI!"  I came, I saw, I conquered!


2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your victory, mighty warrior!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Those little language victories are so huge when you're in another country!!

    ReplyDelete