I LOVE YOU, Holly Danae! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Thursday, February 18, 2010
my not-so-little Little One
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Holly Danae, born 19 years ago today! I remember like it was yesterday the day you came home from the hospital and met your proud big brother and big sisters, and we made you that awful welcome home banner on that computer paper that was all stuck together with perforated edges: "Welcome Home Holly!". I remember the first day Mom let me hold you standing up (I was wearing my favorite purple overalls and a turtleneck with a print so large it should have been illegal) and I couldn't have been prouder. I remember the day that I brought you as my show-and-tell in Kindergarten and basked in the attention as every five-year-old in my class ooooohd and aaahhhhhed over the beautiful baby in my arms. I remember that fateful sunday in Chi-Chi's when I dumbed the "Caution: Incredibly Hot Sauce" into your mild salsa, and pointed to the exact spot where I wanted you to scoop that salsa onto your chip...of course, in your innocence, you did it, and you cried for the next 9 days, and I probably got spanked. I remember how hard it was to leave you home when I left for college, and when I took my first fall break trip home on the train, you ran with more gusto than any chubby-cheeked little 11-year-old I've ever seen and jumped straight into my arms, and I was just as happy to see you. I remember how hard it was for you when I left for the ends of the earth, and how proud I was of you that through your tears, you could affirm our Father's will for my life. Little One, thanks for an awesome 19 years (and please stop getting older this instant). I love you SO INCREDIBLY MUCH. (And, don't go thinking for one second that this gets you out of my beautiful rendition of "Happy Birthday" that you are priviledged to listen to every year. I'll be calling you SOMETIME today, after I've had some good vocal warm-up time.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment