So, this past Saturday Geoff and I had the entire day free, so we decided to explore Baku a little more thoroughly...we found ourselves downtown Baku, exploring Shirvanshakh's 12th century palace. GORGEOUS. A good part of it is restored, but there's a lot of really old original stuff, and everything is open to the public. So, here's a few pictures...
A minoret in the courtyard:
Introducing Rza to DR. PEPPER which we can buy at the import store! HE LOVED IT. He said he'll never be able to drink a coke again:
I really like this picture. If only I knew who the bigger guy was:
Me? Kiss and tell? Never.
Looking from the king's living quarters to the courtyard:
really old stuff:
Climbing up a hole that was never meant to be climbed up. Seriously, these stairs were 3-4 feet tall each. But we climbed them anyway (you would have too) and found a secret little room:
Walking through the narrow streets:
My soviet partner in crime:
Beautiful little children:
So, there you have it--a beautiful little piece of historical Baku. Are you blog readers falling in love with this place like I am? Everyday, I thank G for allowing me to be here one more day...Still lifting high the visa process, trusting HIS will to be done.
[my life? it rocks.]
Hey, Jillann! you're in my thoughts - great to see some pics of where you are. Heard some things from Mrs. M and Laura a few weeks ago, and am keeping that stuff in mind as well. BTW, I already switched from a music major to a TH major, and am loving it! Blessings, KJM
ReplyDelete