Christmas 2009
Family and Friends,
Merry Christmas! Tradition is a funny thing in the DeVries family. Once it starts, well, then it’s tradition, and it never dies. And that tradition finds me, in Kazakhstan, writing our family Christmas letter. Because of the unique situation of the country I’m living in and it’s strict religious laws, certain words in this letter are written in a “code” that you’ll have to use your awesome detective skills to decipher. It’s been an awesome, crazy, busy year for the 7 of us, but that’s how we roll! Here’s what’s been up:
Mom and Dad are empty nesters! They actually kind of like it, and to celebrate, they…got rid of the mini van! (Baby steps, folks. Baby steps.) In June, they led of a group of CLCers on a tour around Israel, following the m!n!stry of sesuJ himself, learning and worsh!ping in the H()ly land! They continue to be involved in CLC’s worsh!p team. Dad’s going on 2 ½ years as Past()or of Discipleship and Operations at CLC, where he preaches occasionally and recently led efforts to renovate and open the second floor of the piano factory! It’s beautiful! Mom continues to teach preschool part-time for Grand Haven Chr. School. In August, they said goodbye to their three girls in just 4 days (cruel and unusual punishment)! I left for the ends of the earth, Katie left for the ends of the Mid-West, and Holly left for the ends of Western Michigan. They tearfully returned to an empty nest and promptly learned how to Skype.
Bob and Jack have added a second cat! Their little family is growing as Thomas Jefferson joins Benjamin Franklin, Bobby, and Jack in their cute and cozy Grand Rapids home. And while I’d prefer a little niece or nephew instead of a furry founding father, I guess that might just have to wait until after Bobby finishes law school. Bob’s in his second year of law school at Cooley, and rocking (of course.). He was just appointed to the national Moot Court team for his school—a huge accomplishment! It was absolutely a “that’s MY brother!” moment! Jack continues her work at Cascade Country Club and volunteers weekly at an animal shelter. I imagine this will continue until Bobby lets her have either a puppy or a child.
I’m 4 months into my life in southern Kazakhstan! It’s truly an incredible feeling to know that I’m where HE wants me, doing what HE wants me to do! I don’t love the weather, but my students and co-workers make the cold incredibly worth the pain. As of late, I’ve eaten: horse, sheep, goat, and dog, as well as their respective eyeballs, intestines, organs, and brains. Also, I was honored with some candied coagulated bull’s blood…it sort of tasted like a tootsie roll. But man is G()d moving and shaking here! HE has opened incredible doors for HIS Truth to be spoken in a land where every morning, I awake to the call to pr-yer from the M0sque down the street. I’ve seen HIM bring my co-workers to tears when they’re confronted with the Truth, and I’m utterly humbled to be used by him in this way. I’m incredibly blessed to be experiencing this culture and learning this language and loving these people. Join me in lifting these beautiful people before HIS throne! С Рождеством Христовым!
Katie, after 8 consecutive semesters on the Dean’s List, graduated from Calvin College with majors in Psychology and Social work. She completed her year-long commitment working with Pine Rest in the Secured Adolescent Unit, and took a summer job as a nanny for a precious little boy. In September, she began her graduate studies at the University of Michigan’s School of Social Work, and is interning in Toledo, Ohio, as an outpatient mental health therapist. Katie has real patients?! As cliché as it is, it’s also incredibly appropriate: You GO, girl!
Holly has graduated from the nickname “the Baby” to the nickname “Little One” in light of her recent accomplishments: In May, she graduated Summa Cum Laude from Spring Lake High School. She took a job at Pruebelo, a Mexican restaurant in Spring Lake, as a waitress. She was darn good at it and raked in the tips (though I’m sure that Mexican floral shirt had something to do with it)! In June, she traveled to Honduras with CLC’s Youth Group. She was there during the government coup, and while those of us at home were all worried about her safety, she was happy and safe with her friends and her many Honduran suitors. She recently finished her first semester at Cornerstone University, did great, and is looking forward to the second. She loves her roommate, college boys, and staying up until 4am. And while she’s totally enjoying college life, the rest of us still can’t believe that the Little One is big enough to be in college!
Christmas is a season of hope and excitement for what’s to come. Last month, Dad’s Grandma, our dear Great-Grandma Dyk, left this home to be with her Maker. But how cool is it that we can look ahead with hope and excitement, knowing the child that was born in a stable 2,000 years ago is sitting at the right hand of His Father, of OUR Father, is preparing a place for us in He@ven?! Be encouraged this holiday season, friends, that the G-d of HOPE is Immanuel, G-d with us. Merry Christmas!
With love,
Jillann for the Fam.
No comments:
Post a Comment