Wednesday, December 30, 2009

looking both ways...

I think resolutions are inspiring. Here’s my list:

Twenty-Ten To-Do List:

  • Master the Russian language.
  • Take a creative writing class, either online or in a classroom.
  • Acquire basic cooking skills. Improve them.
  • Journal everyday about what I’m learning on this crazy journey. (Fear not, faithful readers. This does NOT mean blog everyday.)
  • Send more letters the old-fashioned way.
  • Graduate School: choose what I want to study and where I want to study it.
  • Play trumpet more.
  • Wear Sunscreen everyday.
  • Get a tattoo.
  • Become better at: guitar, photography, teaching, trusting, Spanish.
  • Live Simply. Give Generously. Serve Selflessly. Love Intentionally.

Accomplishable? Absolutely.

Do I have the will to accomplish the accomplishable? I guess we’ll see in a year.

2010’s going to be great, but so was 2009. Here’s a look back:

  • Rang in the New Year at the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas.
  • Got involved with an incredible small group from NC3 in Chicago.
  • Spent many many snowy days at the park with my boys, Linsey, and D.
  • Celebrated Cinco de Mayo with Laura.
  • Ended my year-long lease of an incredible Chicago condo, said goodbye to my dear neighbors and their precious kids, the two wonderful families I nannied for, and many many Chicago friends.
  • Played trumpet at Christy and Justin’s wedding.
  • Visited Kevin and Bekah and baby Micah twice.
  • Brought Chicago friends home to West Michigan for a few days.
  • Played extremely proud big sister at KJ’s college graduation and Holly’s high school graduation.
  • Went to training in CA with ESI for a month—learned how to be a teacher, made lifelong friends, realized what an incredible organization TOO is, unsuccessfully ate a heaping tablespoon of powdered cinnamon, peeled my roommate, learned my first Russian word (Privyet.), discovered Pronto and Connal’s, shared my bed with ants, stole a pink convertible from Vietnam, cheered for the Cubs at a Dodgers game, played way more TEFL baseball than can be good for you, gave Blue and Jawong their nicknames, drew Ma and Pa pig, played the Bean game at least 42 times, chanted "i said-a PLEASE be quiet, Baby's sleeping" with a room full of other English teachers, played soccer at midnight, performed “You Are My Sunshine” with my cute little practicum students, said a very tearful goodbye.
  • Spent one more week at home—commissioned by CLC, bought teaching clothes, laid my stuff out at watched my dad pack it, wrote cards to my friends, drove to the Detroit airport, said another very tearful goodbye.
  • ARRIVED IN KAZAKHSTAN!

…and that’s where this blog started, way back in the day, so I’ll stop with that…


MY FAVORITE 2009 PICTURES (pre-KZ):

A few of my Chicago loves:
With Dad on Easter:
My baby sisters both GRADUATED:
Bringing Chicago friends to W. Michigan:
My Kylie. I started nannying her when she was 4 days old. I said goodbye to her the day she turned 1:
Goodbye to James:
My LAST day with my precious boys:
Linsey and Luke. Lins, why don't WE have any pictures together?!:
Me. Sisters. Sister-in-law. Mother. :
Family Picture, Summer 2009:
My NC3 Small Group--You guys are the best!
My precious Chicago neighbors:
Visiting Kevin, Bekah, and little Micah in Minnesota:
At In-n-Out with Aubrey, in LA, before training:
Fell in love with these people...they're all in Russia right now, and I miss them like crazy!
Carrying my tired little Blue home from our walk:
Part of the Central Asia/Russia team:
At Connal's:

3 comments:

  1. I cried and laughed reading this. He has been good in 2009 and will continue to be in 2010. You have excellent goals and with His help you can accomplish them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have no idea why we don't have any pics together...well, actually i think its because we were the only adults in any given place...unless one of the boys could properly use a camera i think we were out of luck! I guess we could have done a self-portrait though! when you come back we'll certainly make it a priority!

    you have some pretty amazing goals, and i have no doubt you can accomplish every single one!

    miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So inspired by your goals that I feel a little more empowered to accomplish mine! Love you and miss you so much! Let's chat soon. Always thinking of you and remembering you with our dad. :)

    ReplyDelete