Sunday, April 24, 2011

all things SLAGLE.

So, you can't be in two places at once, right?
Well, friends, this was the
NEXT
BEST
THING.

But first, a little history...
I met Elizabeth (who I usually call Blue) on July 19, 2009. That was a good day. We were on the same team of teachers heading to the ends of the earth--she to Russia, me to Kazakhstan--and we happened to be paired as roommates. We became fast friends, and after a month of living with her, she had easily and quickly climbed the ranks to the top of my nearest and dearest friends. We bonded over these things (this is by no means an exhaustive list, nor is it in order of importance or awesomeness):
Peeling skin (yes, i PEELED her. to relieve her itching. gross.)
Midnight runs to Pronto Donuts for a donut and chocolate milk
Mattress wrestling matches (of which I dominated)
TEFL Baseball
Dress-coded dance parties
Nicknames (Blue and Jillybean? Oh, that's us.)
The Bean Game
Ants and Cockroaches
Dreading Practicum (what didn't kill us made us stronger)
Connal's PeanutButter Milkshakes (what didn't kill us probably will when we're 55)
Journaling
Playing pranks on the Vietnam team
The ridiculousness of JAZZ CHANTS (I said-a please be quiet, baby's sleeping!)
...and the list goes on.
Needless to say, we're bonded. FOREVER.

I heard about Joel long before she started liking him, but I figured it would happen sooner or later (and it happened sooner). Everything I heard came either through Facebook, e-mail, or Skype (thank heavens for skype), and as I heard it, their relationship journey went something like this...
I can't stand him. I mean, really?
I don't like him.
Maybe I like him, I don't know. How do I know?
Whoa, he gets me. Like, he really gets me.
[at this point, i became facebook friends with joel.]
Yep, I like him.
I like him a LOT.
[at this point, I met joel on skype.]
We're DATING!!
I love him.
I think he's the one.
My mom thinks he's the one!
WE'RE ENGAGED!
[i finally met joel for real, in person (though without elizabeth) this past november. and yep, she picked a good one!]
aaaaaand now, married.
MARRIED!

I got to join the big day via Skype...a BIG THANKS to those who made this possible!

So, first, a test run, just to see if everything works...it took a while to get the sound figured out, but it finally worked! Here's the beautiful chapel! People were filling up the seats at this point, and Shannon came back and said hello, which was wonderful!

Before you look at the next picture, keep in mind that I had to wake up at 4am for this... So if you ever wanted to see my creature-of-the-night look, here's your chance. If you could care less or don't want to be scarred for life, kindly skip forward one photo.

There they are! IN THE CHAPEL. GETTING MARRIED. The picture quality wasn't fantastic (I was skyping from the developing world, after all), but it's good enough!

See that Bouquet in the air?! She's a SLAGLE!

Thank you to BENTLEY:

And, I think this is Daniel. Not totally sure, but pretty sure... Either way, THANKS!
I've actually never met either of these guys, but do feel like I somewhat know them, having heard so much about them. After the wedding, I left my Skype on, since I wasn't really sure what to do, and they stood in front of the camera talking about whether I was still there or not, and since they couldn't hear me anyway, I just sat back and watched. It was entertaining :)

A beautiful wedding for some beautiful people.

CONGRATS, JOEL AND ELIZABETH SLAGLE!





2 comments:

  1. Jillann - this just brought me so much joy!! I'll be in Russia from September-June this next academic year, and one of my best friends is getting married after I leave - you've given me hope! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you got to participate in the wedding from half way around the world. But I would have loved to have had you there! I feel like I know you after all of the stories that Elizabeth shared about you even though we have never met. And you were an answer to my pryrs for her when she headed off to training, rather nervous and scared. I asked for the perfect roommate...and that was you! Someday, I hope we can meet in person. Mrs. Slagle's mom

    ReplyDelete