Sunday, January 31, 2010

how wiping changed my life...

Well, my blog mysteriously works again...I'm actually updating from my site!

To celebrate this mysterious reappearance of my site and because I can't sleep due to the fact that the lady upstairs won't let her drunk husband in the door and now he's pounding on mine, I've decided to update my blog.

This week, I SPLURGED and bought incredibly luxurious toilet paper. We usually use this brown crepe paper stuff (and occasionally, when money's really tight, old lesson plans)--it's brown and stretchy and course, but it gets the job done. That stuff costs about 55 Tenge/roll (about 40 cents), and when you're living on a budget of $160 a month and paying for groceries, internet, cell phone, Russian lessons, and any and all social activities with that salary, 40 cents for toilet paper is actually pretty steep. Well, this week I decided to treat myself to some luxury. I was so excited to use it that when I got home and realized I didn't actually have to go to the bathroom at that particular moment, I promptly drank an entire 32oz Nalgene of water. 30 minutes later, I was wiping like a queen. [Sorry if that was too much information for you, but here in kazakhstan, we celebrate all the small victories. This was absolutely one of them.]

Anyway, to completely change the topic, this week I read one of my best friend's blogs, and she posted this quote by Peace Pilgrim: "Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlived its usefulness posesses you..." So, starting this week, I'm going to relinquish some things that I selfishly hold onto--things that aren't necessarily good or bad for me, just things that I hold too close. (I guess it's a good thing that we're already back to our normal crepe paper...)

He's good, and I'm living in that goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment