Sunday, January 24, 2010

so THAT's why I stayed...

So, about 2 weeks ago, I received an e-mail that the material in my blog was being considered "high-risk."  Awesome, right?  Hence, access to my blog (or anyone else's, for that matter) has been blocked.  Again, awesome.

So, I had my baby sister hack into my account (thanks Holly!) and figure out a way for me to post without actually logging onto my account.  She found a post-by-email option—a back door in—and I guess if you're reading this, it worked!

It's been 2.5 weeks since all other Americans vacated my little city.  In the time leading up to their mass exodus, I strongly strongly considered going home…I even found a round-trip ticket for less than $800—unheard of!  But something was holding me back from buying that ticket—something greater than my desire to see my family, my desire to worsh!p at my ch-rch, my desire to eat fresh lettuce and sleep in a comfortable bed and drink Diet Coke and have reliable electricity and buy tampons with applicators and speak English as loud as I wanted.  I had no idea what HIS plans for me, alone here for 3 weeks were, but I was certain that HE was telling me to stay.  But now?  I have lived and experienced that which HE had for me over the last several weeks, and as a result, my heart is full and I am even more excited for what the next 5 months in Taraz holds.  Here's a few of the many things I did, saw, and took part in over the last few weeks:

 

·      Had Leila, a dear friend and co-worker, over to bake chocolate-chip cookies, watch a movie, and just hang out.  She's searching for something, and I'm not sure she knows what, but that evening was a wonderful opportunity to talk about what life's all about…

·      I celebrated Russian Christmas with my only Russian student, Vlad, and his family.  Had a wonderful time (my first time visiting a local family without my roommate!) getting to know my student and his family better.  In honor of my being there, we ate an amazingly delicious salad called Man's Desire (I know, right?  Weird.) and a main course that looked like a volcano and was actually lit on fire before it was served.  Then, they asked me to stand and sing the American National Anthem.  So, I did.  I received a standing ovation.

·      Curtis and Katina came up from Shymkent for a few days in my smaller and more laid back city.  We enjoyed a few days of rain, and many many games of Speed Scrabble.

·      I received marriage proposals from 2 different men—one of them, Azamat, probably asked about 42 times. 

·      Made homemade hot chocolate with Katina 5 times.  LOVED it every time.

·      Went bowling with some students.  Effectively taught the group these two concepts: Granny Bowl and Victory Dance. 

·      Participated a study of THE BOOK—the fifth chapter of Matthew—with an American friend and 3 local young women.

·      Touched raw meat for the first time ever.  Not even kidding—FIRST TIME.  It was as gross as I've always imagined and now know why I've avoided it for so long.

·      Had my British friend, Claire, over to Curtis and Katina's for homemade chili and corn bread.  We watched Stardust (absolutely do not recommend that film) and gabbed about girl stuff.

·      Purchased a few loaves of wheat bread (hallelujah!) and some tortillas in Shymkent, brought them back to Taraz, and am savoring them slowly.  All things Wheat, I took you for granted.  I love you.

·      Attended a house-ch-rch service with other ex-pats and enjoyed hearing about what HE is up to in Shymkent!

·      Took a taxi alone with 3 strange men for 3 hours.  Made it back safely. 

·      Taught my Interlink English Club students how to play Uno—they LOVED it.

·      Arrived home in Taraz to a dark apartment and a thawed freezer…no electricity!  It remained off for 3 days, during which, over the three evenings, I read over 1,000 pages by candlelight (three entire books).  Finally, after 80 hours without, it was turned back on!  I broke all cultural boundaries and hugged the electrician.  12 hours later, it was off again.  36 hours after that, the same electrician was back, and he fixed it again.   The second time, he initiated the hug!

 

So, that's why I stayed.  Worth it, right?  It absolutely was.  I guess that Diet Coke will have to wait until June…

 

5 comments:

  1. I am DYING laughing over the electrician. He probably turned off your power on purpose just to come give you that hug. That is an awesome story. Our power was off for a few days and when it came back on, we decided that we didn't take advantage of our tv enough. That's how pathetic we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to press on and make the most of your time off! "Persevere, persevere!", I cheer.
    P.S. LOL @ Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. crack me up...i just watched stardust this week. but i liked it-reminded me of the princess bride!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You may live to regret teaching anyone to play Uno! I still can't even look at an Uno deck, and I used to have absolutely no animosity toward that game before I lived in KZ!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was in China, I felt constrained to spend my 3-week vacation in cold and smoggy Beijing (instead of joining friends in sunny Thailand). Good News was well-received that vacation! I'm glad you're enjoying yours :)

    ReplyDelete