So, yesterday Bill and Amanda had their first school meeting, so Geoff and I set off on the metro to explore the city a bit. We got off at what we thought was the city center, and ended up in the middle of nowhere. But, the middle of nowhere had a McDonald's, and we needed dinner, so we stopped. At McDonald's, we learned that in Azerbaijan, lines do not exist. You just push your way up to the front of the crowd waiting by the counter and order. So we did, and it worked! Here we are, victorious:
Thinking we were near the Caspian Sea, we decided to walk for a while (in the rain.). With each corner we turned, we expected to see the Sea, but corner after corner, we saw only more city. So, I stopped a lady with children and asked her, in Russian: Excuse me, but where is the Caspian Sea? She just laughed, said something along the lines of: Ooooh, honey, you're crazy., and grabbed her children and continued on. Clearly, we were not near the sea. So we wantered for a while more, and just happened to stumble on Bill and Amanda's School! CRAZY. So we went in and asked directions. It turns out we were several miles from the sea. And by several, I mean about 7. So they gave us directions to a metro stop and told us to get on and go 3 stops. We did. Then, we got off again. FAIL. Again, the middle of nowhere (but at least it was different middle of nowhere!) So, again we started walking, again thinking we would see the sea at every turn, and finally we came up to a cliff, and excitedly, we ran to the edge and looked over. And for the record, this was a HIGH cliff. And as far as the eye could see, in every direction, we saw CITY. Fail again. So we kept wandering and eventually started recognizing a few buildings. It turns out that without even trying, we had walked straight back to my apartment. Awesome, right? So we went up and watched a movie and ate ice cream. Then, we went out on our porch to take pictures, and I captured this shot, and it reminded me of Batman:
Today, we set off on another adventure, though this time we took a familiar path from my apartment to the Sea. Here's what (and who) we saw:
(If you're a naturally jealous person, or prone just the slightest bit to jealousy, you should probably stop reading and looking now. Because you're about to see shots of an INCREDIBLE city. Pictures do this place no justice. So, I'll give you a little space to leave.)
(go ahead and go if you want.)
(seriously, no judgement here. I'll never even know.)
(you're still here?)
(wow, you're a saint.)
FORGE ON, LITTLE NON-JEALOUS FRIEND!
The new world and the old world collide:
My teaching partner and official partner in crime, Geoffrey Daniel Mills:
My incredible city (second only to Chicago):
My team:
Seriously, aren't you glad all those jealousy-prone people stopped looking? This picture holds major sin potential. I mean, seriously? Can you believe this place? INCREDIBLE.

I found your blog and made it one of my favorites. I'm only not jealous of your city since I live in a city by the sea. awesome batman picture though.
ReplyDeleteKarissa