So, ten days ago I went to spend some time with my beloved Chicago and my Chicago family. This city was my home for 6 years, during which time we fell head over heels in love, and coming back to Chicago will always feel like coming HOME.
I guess what makes a place home is not just the city and buildings and beauty, but it's the people. I packed my Chicago days full of people...breakfast with someone, coffee with someone, lunch with someone, an afternoon walk with someone, dinner with someone, and the evening with someone else. I didn't take nearly as many pictures as I should have (or intended to, for that matter), but below are just a few...
So, dinner with Laura (Chicago roommate and dear friend), her Mom, Karen (she's just awesome), and a friend of theirs from the city who just began her freshman year at Moody:
On Thursday, I went to Colombia College Chicago to see friends who've been a pretty important part of my life since I was in eighth grade, the Stuks. Their oldest, Sydne, was beginning her freshman year in the city, and was moving into her dorm. It's a weird, surreal feeling to see someone I've known for 13 years, since she was 6 years old, move into COLLEGE. Seriously? Whoa. Anyway, I'm incredibly excited for Syd!
Then, lunch and a walk around the city with another dear friend, Aubrey. She just got back from a summer in Africa and is excited to graduate and get her hiney back there! I love her passion and love her friendship. Basically, she rocks, so if you feel yourself liking her, that's totally normal.
And then, if my week wasn't already awesome enough, I decided to show Chicago how awesome I was at walking. You see, I was just walking down LaSalle Blvd and tripped. Was there a crack? Umm, no. Was there a pot hole? Not exactly. The littlest bit of uneven ground? No no no. There was, however, a curb. And I, walking completely alone and unaccompanied on a 9 lane (at least) sidewalk, happened to find that curb. And not only did I find it, but I flipped my awesome, incredibly coordinated self right over it. The result? PAAAAAIN. What I though could be nothing but a break turned out to be only a"grade III acute sprain." If you'd like to disagree with that diagnosis, you can examine the picture below. Either way, I now get to wear an attractive little boot for 4-6 weeks. Go ahead, tell me how graceful I am.
I spent the week at Laura's condo. She had just gotten a little, 3-month-old puppy, Oliver, just 5 days before. I'm not really a lover of domesticated animals, but after a few days, this little pup wagged his way right into my lap, and subsequently, into my heart. So, I have a canine nephew named Oliver. Sometimes I call him Joseph because that was my vote for his name. Laura's vote was for "Abner". I just though you all should know that. Abner. Really? Here's a picture of the little guy...
On my last night in the city, my friend Jawong, who is moving to Wheaton, came into the city all the way from Minnesota to have dinner with me. (And since I just called him "Jawong" in front of all of you and his real name is actually LUKE, I feel like I should explain. You see, Jawong was a teacher on my team in Russia last year, and in training before we left, we were had a lesson on how to teach vocabulary. In order to make the lesson realistic, the lecturer made up words and taught us those, since they'd be completely unfamiliar. We learned about 20 words, 18 of which I have since forgotten. Two, however, I held onto. The first: SNERD. It means "attrative" and I reserved that one for myself. The second: JAWONG. It means "Large Cat" and that one I reserved for Luke. Please look at the picture below, and you'll understand why I call him JAWONG (and myself "snerd"). I mean, have you ever seen someone more deserving of the nickname "Large Cat"?
On Sunday afternoon, after I drove home from Chicago, we had my dad's side of the family to the house for our monthly "DV Potluck." It's really quite an event. We took this picture of my lovely family:
I hung out with my newest little cousin, Hope Elizabeth [insert crazy cool Chinese middle name which contains both a Q and a X and Q] DeVries. She's a beauty and really an amazing kid.
A few nights later, we had some other family friends over and had a great night of laughing and pizza-eating. THE MILLERS! Ironically, Mr. Miller was my high school band director, during which time I referred to him as "Milldog" behind his back...just wanted to get that off my guilty conscience.
The next night, my parents were headed down to the boardwalk to walk, and me and my booted foot hobbled along to have devotions. The sun was setting, so I took some pictures which I now love. You can love them too.
The next day, we got up early, packed up the Escape and grandpa's old '93 Ford Ranger pick-up truck and moved the Little One, Holly, into Calvin College (amid torrential rain showers) for her second year of college. After that, I went a few miles further to spend the rest of the day with my Aunt Mary, Uncle David, and cousins Lydia, Sonia, and John. This family is incredible and such a testimony of G and his faithfulness to us. I love them DEARLY. You probably will too after you look at these adorable pictures.
To celebrate Labor day, West Michigan welcomed a HUGE storm. It started two days ago, and is still happening. As soon as we heard the words "gale force wind warning" we headed to the beach to watch what we knew would be HUGE waves. We were not disappointed. If you look closely at the picture below, you'll see the wave splashing against the second lighthouse, nearly reaching the roof!
I was close until I got SLAMMED my this very wave. And I was 10 feet away from the channel!
Here, the pier is COMPLETELY under the water and the waves in the background are HIGHER than the lighthouse! This is why we can't ever underestimate the power of Lake Michigan.
Mom, blowing away.
Mom, being completely thrown off balance by the wind. One second later sent her careening into the coming wave. Again, look at the wave SLAMMING the lighthouse in the background!
Best exfoliation I've had in weeks. And 24 hours later, I'm still finding sand.
I love storms, I love Grand Haven, I love the lake. (Bootless for the first time in 10 days (which I regretted the next day.).)
And, then I ran back to the car.
All in all, an INCREDIBLE ten days. And seeing as I leave in two days for Azerbaijan, I'd say it's been a heck of a last few days in the USA.
Wow, those were some great pictures of families you were with, and I loved the ones of the lake and the lighthouse. I'm glad your time home went well, and it sounded like you filled up on friend and family time while you were here : ) I hope you have a safe trip back and that God blesses your time in Azerbaijan!
ReplyDelete~Rachel : )
As usual, Jillann, I both laughed and cried in one blog reading. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU PUT THAT PICTURE OF ALL OF US IN THERE! I nearly rolled off the couch. Thank you for including us in your Ten Fun Days Recap!!!
ReplyDeletePrayers and Love, G & B
Awesome pics, Jillann! It's so cool to hear stories of what people are doing with their lives post-college! Maybe I'll get a chance to see you sometime soon, after I head out to Ukraine!
ReplyDelete