Saturday, October 31, 2009

Hippie Halloween!


Happy Halloween! We just got back from our 1st Kazakh Halloween Party with some students...It was a blast, and really, nothing like an American Halloween... (which is ironic, seeing as it's only an American holiday.)
Since we were costumeless, we spent our afternoon brainstorming what we could possibly go dressed as, using only what we brought in our 2 suitcases and that which was already in our apartment. First, we tore down all the curtains in our entire apartment and tried to make costumes out of those. For Carolina, SUCCESS. She was something in a golden toga. Fortunately, my curtains were all in panels--perfect for making an outstanding costume. Unfortunately, unbeknownst to me until I actually took them down, the panels were all hooked together, and I really only needed 1 or 2 for my costume, not six. My curtain costume? FAIL. So, I decided to be a HIPPIE! I cut a big ol' PEACE sign out of some bright green paper and found as many long necklaces as I could. I wore my pajama pants since there's really no such thing as obnoxious American pajama pants here (see below) so nobody would know that they were really for sleeping. Then I straightened my hair and donned a center part (yikes. seriously, I haven't had a center part since 7th grade.) with a few braids, and my costume was complete. PLUS, I was like a walking American Culture lesson for my students...What's a hippie?! All in all, a wonderful (ly exhausting) night. See pictures below:

HAVE A HIPPIE HALLOWEEN!





No comments:

Post a Comment