Tuesday, 29 September 2009, 9pm in TARAZ:
It sure has been a week of traveling! Thursday to Mirke, Saturday to Kordai, Sunday to Shymkent, and today to a second village school! I can’t remember the name of the village, but it was hard to say anyway. The kids were darling, and did a presentation for us that they had clearly worked on for weeks. It included chanting “What is your name?” and “How old are you?” and “Where are you from?” to the tune of Jaws. They’re creative little guys, if I do say so myself. Then, it was my turn. So I took my place in front of them and started walking around like a chicken. I didn’t really know what else to do and what 3rd grader doesn’t like the chicken dance? I even had the music on my computer, and it was GREAT fun! Kazakh children make excellent chickens. Then I led the Hokey Pokey, letting them choose body parts. Here are the parts we Put In and Put Out, shook all about, and Hokey Pokied with: Tongue (lots of laughs when I tried to say “and you shake it all about” while actually shaking my tongue all about), neck (I know, right? How do you “Put your neck in, you put your neck out”?), hiney (9-year-old boys are the same EVERYWHERE.), pinkie, nose, hair, ear, whole self (my suggestions), and knee. Not the easiest parts to “shake it all about” with, but we had a blast nonetheless. I could dance the Chicken Dance and Hokey Pokey for the rest of my life with beautiful children like these and love every minute of it.
"…that’s what it’s all about!”
No comments:
Post a Comment