There's no place like home? Absolutely true. But really, there's no place in the world like Georgia.
We had a three day holiday to celebrate Qorban Bayram (The Muslim Feast of the Sacrifice), so my team jumped on a train and booked it 16 hours over to Tbilisi, the capital of the little-known country. I booked us a hostel online in the Old City, and for two days we explored, hiked, ate awesome Georgian food, and took way too many pictures. Trains were booked up when we tried to buy tickets, so we took a bus home (bad idea). It was SUCH a great little break from city life, a wonderful opportunity to speak some Russian, and a good time with my team.
[Luckly, Chicago, my heart belongs to you. This weekend, however, you came very close to being replaced by Tbilisi.]
This is without a doubt the most picturesque place I've ever visited. It was like a little piece of untouched Eurasian beauty. Here's the proof.
By the river:
watching the sunset
outside of Sameba Cathedral
Geoff hauled this old, hobbly woman up the hill....this hill was like STRAIGHT up. At the top, the woman asked Geoff for money.
SO incredibly beautiful
outside of one of the smaller cathedrals in the mountain-top fortress
wreckless? yes. but an AWESOME picture.
with Amanda, overlooking Tbilisi
I love this picture
looks like it belongs in a Robinhood movie, right?
the view from a lovely little restaurant
the "glass bridge"
The city at night. I LOVED the houses stacked up the mountainside!
Bill, Amanda, me, and Geoff
walked past this lovely lady on the way to get icecream
We had tea with this charming man while waiting at the border for our bus
to cross (we crossed on foot)...
Passing the 3-hours-of-waiting at the border
GEORGIA! I love you! I'll be back!
as great as vacation is, it was even greater to get back to live in Baku and get back to my students, who i LOVE.
Life? It's rocking.
G? He's awesome.
No comments:
Post a Comment