Hey there. It’s me. And, I love this picture.
How beautiful is my city?!
I don’t even know where to begin telling you how incredibly awesome things are over here.
INCREDIBLE.
Other exciting news: If you’d asked me a few weeks ago how things were going, I would have said they were pretty good. And they were. But I was not getting what I wanted and needed most—deep and meaningful relationships with nationals. These relationships (or potential relationships) are why I’m here! Well, friends, the last two weeks have been exhausting and exciting for that very reason: I am FINALLY developing meaningful relationships with several wonderful Azeri people, and have spent a ridiculous amount of time with them. I’m up before the sun and home long after it’s gone down, and I love every minute between. HE has blessed me beyond anything I could have ever imagined. Friends, HE gives us the desires of our hearts! Another cool thing: this past week I have had several deep and genuine conversations about life now, eternal life, and the differences between our beliefs with one of these friends . Anyway, VERY COOL. G is moving and shaking in this young woman’s life, and HE is letting me be a part of it!
--There are three colors of nylons (and every girl wears nylons every day) here: Tan, Black, and Jaundice.
--Today, one of my students, a very educated 58-year-old guy, told me he had “bowels for brains.”
--Yesterday, I went castle-hunting with some dear friends. We found a good one. I’ll post pictures soon. (or you can look at the pictures here.)
--Every morning, I pass a freshly-severed cow head on my walk to the Metro. Today, for the first time, it was a sheep head. It definitely didn’t have the same effect. I mean, it was the size of a nerf football, and didn’t even have horns. What a disappointment.
--For the last month, I have had the hugest knot in my back. Seriously, it’s like my shoulder blade is trying to birth a tennis ball. Ouch.
--Elections? Whoa. Nice work, Republicans. Azerbaijan Parliament elections were today!
--Cold showers at 6am should be illegal. Especially because:
--I’m a fairly cold-blooded person. And, winter’s coming. And, I only have one blanket. And, I learned yesterday that my apartment doesn’t have heat. Awesome.
--I like to memorize things. Right now, I’m memorizing Martin Luther King Jr.’s, “I Have A Dream.” I don’t know why I like memorizing things, but here are a few of the things I’ve memorized in my life: My 1st Grade class list, States and Capitals (both in alphabetical order and order added to the union), the Presidents, books, verses, and entire chapters of the B!ble…and the list goes on and on and on…you need my high school locker combo or my college ID number or the phone numbers of my grade school friends? Unfortunately, I know them all. I mean, seriously? Why do we hold onto useless information like this? When am I ever going to need to recall things like “Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species”? Exactly.
--Best quote ever from one of my students on Friday (I asked him to make a sentence using the new vocabulary word “to mingle”): “I looked on as my parents mingled themselves together.” …clearly, he missed the point. And actually, I still don't know what exactly he was trying to say. But wisely, I didn't push it.
Hurray!! I'm so happy for you!!
ReplyDeleteyeah! Jillann!
ReplyDeleteand I'm remembering Payton too today.
Love Esther xoxox
I'm very good at memorizing numbers - phone numbers, credit card numbers, etc. I'm sure you get that ability from me. :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the birthday shout out for our boy. It means a lot. Love you.
Ha, love the memorizing thing! When I got back to my childhood hometown, I never have to check phone numbers. That part is convenient. Knowing the phylum family genus etc will come in handy when your kids are studying, I think. and maybe that's it.
ReplyDeleteI love the 'mingled' sentence!